The site (formally a spinney) was bought from Fredrick Vowles by Mrs Charles Hill in 1921 for £17. The Hall was built and given to the village by Mrs Gaythorne Hill in 1927 in memory of her son Richard Sub-Lt R. A. Gaythorne Hill who was killed in action during the 1914-1918 Great War.
The building has architectural merit in being one characteristic of the period. It is well built of bricks with metal windows with an extensive tiled roof.
The hall has been extended several times in its subsequent history. First was a lean-to extension to the West end to provide toilets. Then the kitchen area, bar area and storeroom area were added at various times later. The Kitchen was remodelled and re-equipped in 2011 to modern catering standards. The current project (2015) is to remodel the entrance and toilets to make the Hall accessible for disabled people and update all the toilet facilities, improve the entrance generally and improve the appearance of the building.
The Amenity Field adjoins the Village Hall and was purchased by the Parish Council in 2008 to provide a facility to be used by the local community. The field is managed by the Village Hall Committee. The field covers an area of approximately 1 hectare and is bounded by hedgerows and, partially, by a post and rail fence of treated timber. Access to the field is via a five bar gate and adjacent pedestrian gate in the south-west corner and by a small gate in the north-east corner. The five bar gate is secured by a combination padlock. There is a public right of way running between the two gates. In the centre of the southern side of the field there is a set of sleeper steps giving access to and from the car park.